Friday, October 26, 2007

2 weeks post-op....written almost 6 weeks post-op


2 weeks post-op marked a big day for me. A trip to the Orthodontist and to the Oral Surgeon. The Orthodontist was mainly concerned with how I was feeling mentally/emotionally. There is this term called "hitting the wall" that I have read about from other post-op'ers. You get to a point where you break down and are frustrated and annoyed and want everything to go back to normal. I think this is what my Orthodontist was referring to. I felt good. My recovery was going well...minus the coughing. He took a bit of a look in my mouth and seemed happy with what he could see. I was still wired shut at this point.....but not for long.

The next stop was the Oral Surgeon. See ya later wires. This was a bizarre feeling. I wasn't sure what to expect. My OS had warned me that people tend to get light headed when the wires come out. The tech said that it is because your teeth are held so tightly together that when they are released blood rushes to the site and way from your brain. So I was ready to feel light headed...I didn't.

I was a little unsure while she was doing it. There were instruments in my mouth and scissors and wire cutters...it was all a little much. But soon enough it was over. I was able to brush the outside of my teeth which was a glorious feeling. I was now unwired and into elastics. I did attempt to take a picture of the elastics...Note to self...what the heck is that picture all about?? I actually took this picture hoping that I would be able to see the elastic placement so I could use it when I had to change the elastics. I drew a trusty picture instead. I had a elastic box on each side and one in the middle front at night.

Another positive from this visit was that I was cleared to fly...in an air plane. I am going to Vancouver!!

No comments: